Welcome to the web's only (as far as I know) blog dedicated to an open discussion of ROCD.

I'm not a therapist, a counselor, or a mental health researcher.
Nothing you find on this blog should be taken as professional advice, and you DEFINITELY shouldn't use this as a substitute for professional medical treatment.

Okay, now that the disclaimer is out the way, I can tell you who I am and why I'm writing this blog. I'm a curious researcher (in a field not related to mental health) engaged to a beautiful women, and I'm tired of doubting the fact that I love her. I know firsthand the torment of ROCD, and I want it to stop. Toward that end, I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone who has experienced these symptoms. This is not a self-help or support site. As a researcher, I'm not going to assume that this disorder is real or that it explains everything happening to me. I want this to be an open forum for discussing everything related to ROCD - the pain it causes, ways to deal with it, and even whether those of us "suffering" from it are really just in denial about our relationships. I only ask that anyone who comments on this blog be respectful of the fact that, whether ROCD is caused by treatable, biological factors or not, those who experience it are indeed in a great state of anguish, so please be thoughtful even if you don't personally feel that this disorder is real. Thanks, and I hope this blogs proves useful to you and me both.

Monday, March 15, 2010

Misery Loves Company: The Co-morbidity of Depression and Anxiety Disorders

You may have wondered why my previous posts talk so much about depression when the title of this blog states that it's concerned with ROCD. Well, wonder no longer. If you read my previous post (The Unbearable Uncertainty of Psychiatric Medicine), you know that I've been diagnosed with depression and, later, agitated depression. So why am I so concerned with ROCD? Because I believe I suffer from it in addition to depression, but that my OCD has been overlooked.

And there's at least some reason to think I might be right. Studies have shown that roughly 50% of patients in the community who are diagnosed with a mood disorder (such as depression or bipolar disorder) also meet the criteria for an anxiety disorder (such as generalized anxiety disorder, OCD, or panic disorder). Among those in primary care situations (whose condition is presumably worse),that figure is 75%. In other words, about half of those who suffer from depression also have an anxiety disorder. Why? That's less clear. Researchers have several competing hypotheses. One is that mood and anxiety disorders are caused by very similar biological mechanisms. Afterall, both seem to respond to the same medications, so it makes sense to postulate that they share a common root. Still, while many people with one disorder have the other, not all of them do, so this can't be the whole story.

Another viable hypothesis is that the two types of disorder feed into each other. If you spend a good part of your day feeling anxious or obsessing over the reality of your love, you're probably not going to be very happy, are you? Likewise, if you're feeling down all the time, you're likely to find yourself worrying about the future more than most.

These are both theories for now - we know that depression and anxiety are often co-morbid, but we don't know why. Have any of you been diagnosed with both a mood and anxiety disorder? Or are any of you (like me) convinced that you have both even though you've only been diagnosed with one? I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment