Welcome to the web's only (as far as I know) blog dedicated to an open discussion of ROCD.

I'm not a therapist, a counselor, or a mental health researcher.
Nothing you find on this blog should be taken as professional advice, and you DEFINITELY shouldn't use this as a substitute for professional medical treatment.

Okay, now that the disclaimer is out the way, I can tell you who I am and why I'm writing this blog. I'm a curious researcher (in a field not related to mental health) engaged to a beautiful women, and I'm tired of doubting the fact that I love her. I know firsthand the torment of ROCD, and I want it to stop. Toward that end, I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone who has experienced these symptoms. This is not a self-help or support site. As a researcher, I'm not going to assume that this disorder is real or that it explains everything happening to me. I want this to be an open forum for discussing everything related to ROCD - the pain it causes, ways to deal with it, and even whether those of us "suffering" from it are really just in denial about our relationships. I only ask that anyone who comments on this blog be respectful of the fact that, whether ROCD is caused by treatable, biological factors or not, those who experience it are indeed in a great state of anguish, so please be thoughtful even if you don't personally feel that this disorder is real. Thanks, and I hope this blogs proves useful to you and me both.

Monday, March 15, 2010

ROCD Book

If you've done much googling re: ROCD, you've probably come across a website offering a book written for the partners of those suffering from ROCD. "Sleeping with ROCD", by D.M. Kay, purports to offer advice and information to those who are in a relationship with an ROCD sufferer.

Like the only other source I've found on this topic (Dr. Phillipson's site), this book seems to be pretty much a one-of. I can't find it on Amazon, and hence I can't find any reviews. Has anyone read it? If so, did you find it useful? I'd love to find more information on this disorder, but so far info seems to be scarce. If you can speak to the value of the book, please do so. The more resources we have at our disposal, the better.

7 comments:

  1. I am going to order that e-book today. I will try to get back to this site and let you know. I have also contacted a therapist that I have many questions for. I have read that not many can even properly diagnose it or believe it exists. I have dated/broken up with other boyfriends in my life (I am 37) and my current relationship is the only one I feel has this issue (I was trying to discern whether or not I was grasping at excuses for why we broke up)after 61/2 yrs of breaking up and getting back together. From what I have read, the symptoms are verbatim. I actually have a form of OCD myself...it just hasn't really affected our relatonship because it has to do with counting in my head and balance on the left side of my body (strange sounding, I know) I am glad that I am aware of mine and accept it for what it is and have naturally been trying to disreagrd the thoughts as soon as they come into my head. Anyway, I will try to let you know when I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS...I just realized that I wasn't clear on who the sufferer of ROCD would be...that is my boyfriend, or ex-boyfriend at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a sufferer of rocd. I have not been to a therapist but almost 2 yrs ago now I started having panic attacks and anxiety. I had never had this before. Then the thoughts started coming that I might not love my husband anymore even though I know I do. We have been married almost 10 yrs and he has treated me like gold. The thoughts were bad for a while, to the point where I did not feel like myself anymore and felt as if I was looking at myself out Of body. It went away for a while but we have been trying to get a house since we got married and have a baby which I had had 2 miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy (growing in my tube and needed to be removed) and still were trying to no avail. It put a lot of stress and anxiety on me. Recently I found out I am pregnant again after trying 2 more years since my surgery and we also just closed escrow on our first home and moved in a week ago. This is supposed to be a happy time, we got our first home together after 10 yrs and are having a baby, I heard the heartbeat and saw the baby (only 9 weeks now) yet the thoughts have come back worse. Apparently pregnancy hormones make everything worse! So in short I know I love my husband dearly but the thoughts prevent me from being truly happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I believe that my relationship suffered from ROCD as well. I was the partner in the relationship. This is one of the most confusing experiences I have every experienced. The central issues comes from our belief of how we define love. In the bible it says "perfect love casteth out all fear". We have this notion that when we are in love fear will be forever absent. This is partially based on reality. When our brains pass through the obsession phase of a relationship, all fear disappears, however, these emotions normally fade overtime. With ROCD commitment begs the question in the mind, do I feel how I should feel to commit? Because of overactive fear processing associated with OCD fear of the relationship not being "right" over-rides the competing feelings of love. Whenever the person considers the "rightness" of their relationship, they associate the fears of OCD with their emotional measurements. This type of emotional transference applies not only to romantic relationships, but often has been observed towards children, friends and family members that deeply care about the sufferer of ROCD. Sadly for my I recognized the symptoms of ROCD after my wife had accepted that she did not love me and that it was time to move on. In spite of our fantastic friendship mixed with physical intimacy, she had decided there was no love between us because of the perpetual fear. Looking back on it, I feel like the only real way that we can figure out what is real is by asking to get a diagnosis by someone who specializes in OCD. Sadly, I was too late in recognizing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ebook was not available. It first said it would be up on the 1st, now the 15th of december. But I could really use that info asap, and I'm afraid they could keep changing the date. Does anyone have a copy I could borrow? I absolutely promise that I will order 2 copies when the download comes back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/24362642/sleeping-with-rocd

    ReplyDelete